Electric Ceramic Kilns
- (for Ceramics, Enameling, Jewelry, Glass)
Popular "tabletop" kilns use standard 120v household voltage, and may be used in many houses with no
- 0.28 to 0.86 cubic feet
- These are the least expensive kilns
Small Electric Kilns
- (0.86 to 3.9 cubic feet)
Additional hobby / test kilns, but because they are larger, these use 208/240v. Some are 30 amps which
is often available in households as dryer outlets.
Medium Electric Kilns
- (4 to 8 cubic feet)
7 cubic feet is the most popular kiln size. We recommend you start by looking at those, then move
to larger or smaller models if it seems appropriate.
Large Electric Kilns
- (9 cubic feet and up)
For schools and studios with larger production needs. Many kilns of this size require direct wiring.
Oval and Rectangular Kilns are also here.
Front Load Kilns
These are a little more expensive than the round style, but many people choose them because they are
easier to load. (Great for people with back problems!)
- Tabletop 120v glass kilns
- (< 1 cubic ft.)
- Most do not have lid elements but fire small pieces like jewelry well.
- These work on a 15 or 20 amp, 120v house circuit
- Glass Fusing Kilns
- For fusing larger pieces you need a lid element.
- Round, oval or rectangular, the smallest models sit on a table and work on 120v.The larger models require 240v.
- These are typically shallow because it takes a lot of skill to fuse large pieces in multiple layers.
- Other Types of Glass Kilns
- These do not have a glass element but come with the glass controller. Skutt calls them "production kilns" because it is difficult to make large pieces in layers, but if you are doing mass production then you work out your process to the point where you can fire in layers.
Ready to take the next step?
Read our tutorial on the Kiln Purchasing Process
There are many choices, so if you need help choosing a kiln, call us at 888-513-5303 or email
and tell us how you intend to use the kiln, what your budget is, any size or brand you are thinking about.
We are kiln experts and sell more kilns than anybody else, so we can make sure you get the right thing!